Migraine headaches can be unbearable and severe, which affects a significant amount of people in the United States. The reasons for these headaches are not always fully understood, but there are certain treatments that seem to help. Here are the most common ways to treat migraine headaches:
1. Chiropractor: Chiropractors are also helpful. Chiropractic care has proven itself throughout the years to be very helpful in relieving headache pain. It can lessen the severity and frequency of headaches, especially when dealing with other issues such as neck or back pain. Speak with your chiropractor to see whether he or she offers trial migraine headache treatment.
Another reason to use a chiropractor is that chiropractic care deals with a lot of factors that might cause migraine pain. Chiropractors work to help with muscle tension, restriction of movement, and relieving pressure to any areas in the neck, upper and lower back, and shoulders. Chiropractic care is a natural way to relieve other factors that can be causing migraine pain, with out the harsh side affects that drugs can have on the body.
2. Medicine: Medicine is the most commonly used migraine treatment. Medication is often used to try to get rid of migraine headache pain. There are a lot of medication options, both over-the-counter and prescription varieties. The problem with medication is that it treats everyone differently. What works for one person does not work for another. There are also problems with side affects that can be a direct result of medication that is used.
3. Nutrition: There are some nutritional and herbal supplements that can be used to treat migraine headaches. Supplements that are thought to help are items such as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, calcium and magnesium. Before trying any herbal remedies it is important to speak with your chiropractor or physician to make sure that it is taken the correct way.
4. Acupuncture: Acupuncture treatment is an alternative medicine treatment that some people try to relieve migraine pain. There are acupuncturists whose specialty is treating headaches and migraines. In addition they also offer Chinese herbs that they feel can help as well.
5. Trigger: One of the best things you can do to treat your headaches is to find out what starts it. There might be a trigger that causes the migraine to grow. What triggers one person’s headache is not the same as someone else’s. Treatment occurs once you know trigger, because you can change the behavior or avoid the circumstance. The most common triggers for migraines are: hormonal changes, medications, neck tension, sleeping habit changes, food sensitivities or allergies, and stress.
Stress has consistently shown to have a great affect on our overall health. A lot of health problems can be traced back to stressful life-styles. If you notice that stress is a determining factor with your migraine headaches, you can take steps to treat your headaches. Work on relaxing, change the stressful situations in your life, and breathe. Other common triggers can also be changed, including: lack of sleep, foods, and medications. Neck pain can be helped through professional chiropractic care.